Achilleion Palace was built 1890 by the Empress of Austria Elisabeth, also known as Sisi. The palace is located in Gastouri, it has a wonderful panoramic view of the island. Today, the palace operates as a museum and attracts thousands of tourists.
In the suburb of Kanoni, ten minutes from Corfu town, one can admire Corfu’s trademark, which is no other than the church of Panagia Vlacherna and right opposite the famous Mouse Island (Pontikonisi).
Corfu's Old & New Fortress
Corfu’s Old Fortress is the first thing visitors witness as they approach the island. Its’ building was initiated in the early 10th century and was completed in the 17th century after the terrible siege by Hayreddin Barbarossa in1537. It houses the Archives of Corfu Island, the Public library of Corfu, the music research lab of the Ionian University and Saint George ’s church. The entrance to the fortress is from the side of Spianada square.
Corfu’s New Fortress was built, after the catastrophic siege of the 1537, between 1576 and 1645 by the Italian architect Francesco Vitelli. The Venetian Senate realizing it was losing its strength, decided to reinforce Corfu to be the last stronghold of the “Serenissima” as the island dominates the entrance to the Adriatic Sea. The new fortification is located near the Old Harbour and has two entrances; one from the side of the area Spilia and one side of the Corfiot food market.
Angelokastro, Kassiopi and Gardiki
Angelokastro is one of the most important Byzantine castles in Greece. It is located in the northwest coast near to Palaiokastritsa and together with the castles of Gardiki (southwest) and Kassiopi (northeast) they formed a defensive triangle which had been protecting the island’s inhabitants from the Middle Ages till the last WWW.
The view from Angelokastro is breathtaking. Kassiopi castle is located in the village of Kassiopi and oversees the channel that separates Corfu Island from the Greek mainland. Gardiki castle is located near the village of Agios Mattheos, approximately 23 km from Corfu town.
If you are in a relationship and hope to get married soon then you should definitely visit Canal D’amour. Tradition suggests that couples that swim through the canal will shortly get married. Located in the west side of Sidari beach, the remarkable coves and limestone erosion make it a must see in Corfu island.
Liston and Spianada Square
When visiting Corfu, one must certainly visit Liston, which was designed by the Corfiot military architect Parmesan. The construction of Liston was commissioned by the first Governor General César Berthier, when the Emperor’ s Napoleonic forces occupied Corfu Mathieu de Lesseps in 1807 and it was inspired from the Rue de Rivoli in Paris. Next to Liston is Spianada Square (or Esplanade), which was created by the Venetians for defense reasons and then enhanced by the British as Gardens of the British Palace of Saint George and Saint Michael and it is the largest square in the Balkans.
Best Beaches of Corfu
North: Cape Drastis, Canal D’Amour, Acharavi, Almiros
Northwest: Avliotes, Arilas, Afionas, Agios Georgios Pagon, Paleokastritsa, Liapades
Northeast: Kerasia, Kalami, Krouzeri, Barbati
Southwest: Glyfada, Kontogyalos, Agios Gordis, Chalikounas, Marathias
South: Vitalades, Arkoudilas
Southeast: Benitses, Boukari, Kavos